Friday, March 5, 2010

To be or not to be




Of all the things I have pondered over death was never one of them, now I wonder why it wasn’t. Death is the most certain part of your life.

Life is adulterous harlot who only has a brief affair with you, death is your true love, finally you sleep in her inviting arms.

Do you think your life would have been better if you knew when were you going to die? Or you prefer the ignorance of not knowing? What if I knew I was dying in a week? That would have been better for me, I would have ran to every loved one and told them how much I loved them, did all the things I wished to do and so on. But what if I knew I was going to die in 5 years? I would have quit my MBA. Never would have taken a job, never marry, never do anything of permanence. The proverbial life on rent. Would I like that, certainly not. In this case I think ignorance is bliss.

The brevity of life is I think the whole essence of it, how much people love their lives and much mankind values life as a whole is amazing. I think that people knowing that this life wouldn’t be with them for long is the fact that they value it so much. Well, at least most people do. Some people go ahead and take their own. It is difficult for me understand why suicides are so frowned over in this world. It is supposed to be a coward’s way, who quit and took the easy way out. But isn’t our life all about taking the easy way out? And people are anyways inherently selfish. So why condemn suicide? Isn’t enduring a punishing life a much worse fate than death itself? Death is a release, it is not a punishment. When you are gone the things you did, things that you wanted to do, and things that others wished you would are not going to matter anyways.

I think the question was brilliantly pondered over by Shakespeare in ‘Hamlet’

“To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks That flesh is heir to,
'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd.
To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,

The insolence of office and the spurns

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will

And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;

And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.”

There is no afterlife. No heaven or hell, nothing to be accounted for after you are gone. What we have is right here and now.

But still, we the people, dread death and disapprove of suicide.

Some people argue about their fear of death that they are leaving behind their loved ones who would be devastated by their death. Yes they will be, but you will no longer be around to feel their pain. None of it will matter anymore, none of anything will matter. I am sure they are children being murdered and people suffering through imaginable pain the very time you are reading this. But you do not know about it, and that makes it easy for you. So will be the pain of the people around you when you are dead. You won’t feel it, ever.

Moreover, suicide is illegal and punishable by law. People scream about liberty and freedom to live their lives as they see fit. What about the liberty to end it? I think making suicide punishable is the most ridiculous thing ever. It's like fining someone who did the mistake of being penniless. For me it only means one thing, that the society eggs you that if you attempt suicide, you better finish the job, otherwise we will punish you.

And what is the reason of our life anyways? Nothing but to aid the perpetuity of life itself. To make life easier for the people who are already here and to prepare for those who are expected to come. Life according to me has no higher purpose. I don’t condemn anyone who indulges in it. Maybe I am hedonist, but then so is everyone else. At least I am an honest one.

To end I will quote this quote which has always intrigued me.

“Balian of Ibelin: You go to certain death.
Hospitaller: All death is certain.”

7 comments:

  1. Rightly said by the song in Mukadar ka Sikandar "Zindagi to bewafa hai saath thukarae gi Maut to mehbooba hai saath le kar jaye gi"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isiliye bhaai pyar karo to maut se, zindagi se kya Ishqiya ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anirudh, by saying "None of it will matter anymore" or "None of anything will matter", arent you confusing between logotherapy and existentialism? Logotherapy bieng the study of meaning in life and existentialism being a Freudian concept. These two schools have little in common and hence do not converge.

    Moreover, society imposes a punishment on the individaul who fails to commit the act of suicide because by failing in the act, he/she continues to perpetuate the dynamic of his/her life which directly/indirectly rubs off on society, the only way society is going to be able to close out the feedback loop is by extracting its pound of flesh, its a question of entropy in nature. When a person commits suicide, there is a decrease in entropy and some measure of orderliness is put back into the universe, during a failure attempt, there is some disruption and in some cases even an increase in this entropy, which needs to be accounted for. Society acts as the go-between. JMT only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kline - First of all, I am trying to have a philosophical or Psychological debate over here... I just wrote what I felt like saying.. And second I am not trying to mix logotherapy and existentialism. In fact I believe in more of Freud's will to pleasure than Adler's Nietzschean doctrine of will to power or Victor Frankl's theory... But more so I believe in Nihilism.. That life has no higher meaning.. At least none we can find out....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now to the second part. I hope you know that the total entropy of the universe can never decrease .. It is the second law of thermodynamics.. It always increases... And the society only drives a man to suicide... Nobody wakes up one day and decides to kill himself... So the feedback loop even if it exists (which I think not) is just and deserved..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, I meant to say that death/decay is a mechanism ensuring that the orderliness/randomness in the universe is maintained.

    Again, by saying "the society only drives a man to suicide... Nobody wakes up one day and decides to kill himself", arent you generalising all human beings as conformists, hence isnt your viewpoint a conformist one?

    Anyway, I still feel that being Indians, we shouldnt be arguing on the basis of Viennese schools of thought, I am sure the Indic civilization has thrown up quite a few interesting schools of thought as well. I am a strong proponent of the Non-Western Worldview and you will be hearing more from me on this in later comments.

    Added later: Please do not take my comments personally, you are doing a good job with your blog and I feel that you can maximise this venture by having debates and impersonal contests. You can be sure that your critics only have your best interests in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of it is taken personally. In fact I am glad someone debated, at least someone took my thoughts seriously :-)

    And I agree we should not follow western schools of thought when we have so much of our own.

    Finally, I am a non- conformist. And what a non conformist hates is a non conformist who does not conform to his brand of non conformism. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Say it here